Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Cutting stainless with a small plasma unit?

cavelamb himself wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Title say it all.

I'm past the point that I can chomp parts with a chop saw and grind/file
a smooth edge.

Some of these parts have interior curves that make that impossible to
any real degree. Even with my foolish stubborn streak!

So?

Would someone recommend a small and relatively inexpensive plasma cutter
that can handle up to 1/8" stainless?

I think the Hypertherm Powermax line is the standard recommendation
these days. Check their site to see which will do the job. I know my
Powermax 1000 would certainly do it.

Interesting machine ya got there!

Product overview
The Powermax1000 plasma cutting system cuts over 50% faster than any
other competitor tested on 3/4" (19 mm) mild steel.

Hand torch cut capacity
Recommended: up to 3/4" (19 mm) at cutting speeds of 22" (559 mm) per minute
Maximum: up to 1" (25 mm) at cutting speeds of 12" (304 mm) per minute
Severance: up to 1-1/4" (32 mm) at slow speed

Yea, it's scary fast on sheet metal, basically as fast as you can move
the torch.