Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Truckers slowing down to save fuel..how about you?

clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada wrote:

Look up "air tabs" Vortex generators to fit transport trucks and RVs.
They DO work.

Interesting. I just posted this one to rec.aviation.homebuilt this
morning...

went looking for some "how it works" articles...
with varying degrees of sucess.

These were the more interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

http://www.microaero.com/

http://www.zenithair.com/stolch801/d...vg-design.html
Chris Heintz 701 VG page

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0009.shtml
Interesting description...

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...004/16E_03.pdf
Mitsubishi is using them on automobiles now!
Interesting paper.

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/182564-1.html
The use of vortex generators is nothing new. First used in England, VGs
have been used on transport jets for decades, and on bizjets since Bill
Lear invented them. But historically they were used as an aerodynamic
"band-aid" to deal with localized mach buffet problems at the high end
of the airspeed envelope. MacDonnell Douglas engineers would routinely
scoff at the VGs on Boeing jets and brag, "see, we don't need those
things because we got our aerodynamics right in the first place."

http://cas.umkc.edu/physics/sps/proj...ex/vortex.html
Vortex rings - like smoke rings?
Dolphins make air vortex rings in the water and play games with them.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/.../Micro-VG.html
NASA paper about micro VGs on the FLAPS (way cool)

http://home1.gte.net/pjbemail/VortexGen.html
VGs used to enhance top speed of ice skaters???

http://www.flxsys.com/Applications/A...x%20Generator/
ACTIVE (dynamic) VGs developed for the Air Force?

http://www.physorg.com/news85159467.html
Silly things are even being used under water...

Richard

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne