Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Cutting stainless with a small plasma unit?

schizobeck wrote:

On Mar 28, 1:22 am, cavelamb himself wrote:

Title say it all.

I'm past the point that I can chomp parts with a chop saw and grind/file
a smooth edge.

Some of these parts have interior curves that make that impossible to
any real degree. Even with my foolish stubborn streak!

So?

Would someone recommend a small and relatively inexpensive plasma cutter
that can handle up to 1/8" stainless?

Preferably 110 VAC if that's possible.

Richard
--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne

Can't tell you a thing about plasma cutters, but in case that plan
goes awry, I think generally with a lot of stainless projects you can
move past trying to get a perfectly smooth/clean edge by just crimping
a metal, rubber or other material "ridge" over the rough edges. It's
cheaper than buying major tools that you might not need again and you
might really find something that adds to a quality look in your
finished project.

I certaintly appreciate the thought because I too am leary of spending a
lot of money on expensive tools that may not pay their way.

But not in this case.

These are parts for yacht type sail boats.
Appearance is important.
As well as smoothing the edges of stress risers.

I've just gone as far as I can with a chop saw and hand tools.
Now it's time to get serious about this stuff.

Question is - what will it cost verses what will it do for me.

Richard