Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Wilkins Ice Shelf disintegrating

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:52:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:20:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Den wrote:

I'm not sure its that simple:
1) What about thermal expansion causing the rise rather than the added
"melted ice"?

How much do yo think water, in liquid form, expands?

Ah! Now this explains why all those glasses, left over from the
party, overflowed onto the floor as the ice melted.

Or not...

I hadn't paid quite enough attention to his theory. _Ice_ expands a
bit, not water. The OP was bassackwards.

OK I'm getting tired of this BS.
Water has a maximum density at 4 deg C and from that point to 100 deg
changes about 4.16 percent so for a change that has been kicked
around, even the worst case by the Greenes, it would be almost un-
measurable.
If you are intrested in the real numbers here they are from the
CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics:
4deg C density 999.9750 kg/m cubed (wish there was math fonts)
100deg C 958.3665 kg/ m cubed
Thats the 4.16%
Now if the temp of the entire ocean change by even 5 deg it would
be 999.7838 kg/m cubed which is a change of .019 %
I don't see any attempt to claim the Entire ocean could change
by that in any event.
...lew...