Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Truckers slowing down to save fuel..how about you?

"Rex" wrote in message
John Martin wrote:
On Mar 27, 11:48 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I loved the 100-4. Slow as molasses (85 mph top speed, stock) but it
felt
like an old-time race car. That is to say, you'd pitch it into a corner
like
a dirt-tracker and pray everything didn't get too loose. It was a
bit...er,
flexible.

When I first started racing there was a 100-4 at Lime Rock, H
production,
that didn't do too badly.

--
Ed Huntress

There was a trick to getting it over 85, Ed - a chrome plated lever on
the side of the transmision tunnel. You pulled up on it a bit, pushed
in the button on the end, and pushed it down as far as it would go.
It's called a parking brake.

A stock Healey 100 would do just over 100 mph. The 100M would do
about 110, and the 100S a lot more. If yours topped out at 85 it was
sick, or you're confusing it with an MG or something else.

Yep. The Healey 100 was supposed to be a 100 mph car.
that was the way it was advertised. Might be what the 100 was for?

That was the claim. An early stock 100-4 was rated at 90 hp, in a car that
weighed 2,200 lb. I won't dispute what John says, and maybe my exposure was
to bad examples, but the ones I knew about were not fast in stock form.

--
Ed Huntress