Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default how to build in shelves cottage style

J. Cameron Davis wrote:

I want to build in shelves along a 10' long wall, floor to ceiling
shelves. I want them to be cottage/country style. I also want them to
be cheap but look really good. Can anyone guide me to online resources
with pictures of something similar, or even of a different style, so I
can get some idea of how to build these? I'm thinking about using
those thick construction grade boards that are about 3" wide, and
making each shelf with three or four of them run side by side. Then
painted white and maybe some sort of paint treatment to make them look
antique. I have no idea how to do vertical supports. Don't want to
buy shelf brackets. Too expensive since I would need a large quantity.
Any ideas about something I can build? Thanks.

A friend has some rather cool looking shelves that would be simple to
put together.....made with 1" boards with threaded rods at each corner
for support. Put a nut and a washer on the rod at appropriate spot,
drill holes in each corner of board and drop board onto the rods.
Repeat. Put an angle iron at the top of each to attach to wall stud
so's it doesn't tip over. At 10' long, you would need more rods for
support, but it is a pretty simple idea.