Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
[email protected] muzician21@yahoo.com is offline

Default Concerned about home inspection required for homeowner'sinsurance

On Mar 13, 11:50*pm, " wrote:

posters here have repeatedly denied this sort of thing goes on, you
verify what i have been posting for years. please let us know how it
goes.

Guy came out, took pics of the front/rear of the house. Looked under
the sinks, looked at the water heater - literally looked at it, in no
way tested its functionality, commented that it looked new, asked if
it was installed this year or last year. Looked at the celings.

I was advised he'd be checking the outlets in the kitchen & bathroom,
he never did. Got some info off the plate on the A/C compressor,
shined a flashlight down into it, didn't even look at the air
handler. Looked at the main breaker outside the house, asked me how
old it was - it's the original from when the house was built.

Didn't seem to even care about the repairs in progress. I had the
curtain closed in the shower stall that's torn apart, he never even
looked at it. I also wondered if he'd say anything about the sound
booth (for recording) I'd constructed in one bedroom that takes up
about 80% of the room. He mentioned that an electrician signs off on
the inspections. Interesting since the electrician who signs off on
them never actually sees the house.

$100. Normally $75 but an extra $25 for coming out on a day they're
not normally in my area.

A wind mitigation inspection is $125 which I imagine is basically
arbitrary since they really push that I can save "up to" 40% of the
wind damage portion of the premium. I wonder how much savings I'd see
though with a house built to '88 code.

Also won't see much savings if the carrier bails out of the state in a
year and have to go through the whole process again.