Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Truckers slowing down to save fuel..how about you?

David Harmon wrote:
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:51:02 -0400 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Ed
Huntress" wrote,
The car as it was sold in the US (which was a strict econobox) had 13"
wheels and 8" disc brakes. That's how you had to race it in the Production
class. Those were the only brakes I've ever had that I could mount on my 10"
South Bend for re-facing.

Aren't you supposed to face brake disks both sides simultaneously,
lest they warp?

that's true on dedicated brake lathes designed to get the job done
quickly. Part of that is deep cuts, negative-rake bits, and high
pressure, which can deflect the rotor as a warped section comes around.
A bit on each side balances that.
But a careful machinist using sharp positive-rake tools can do just
fine with a regular lathe.