Luigi Zanasi

Default Dust and Noise

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:22:19 -0500, George Katele
queried:
I'm in the process of setting up a new shop in my home. It's about 16
by 25, and it's a room in the lower level of a walkout of a house set
on a slope. Adjacent to the shop are a family room, and stairs leading
upstairs to the main living level.

Obviously Dust and Noise (D&N (TM)) are an issue.

Noise:
Shop is below master bedroom/great room area. I'm ripping up the
ceiling and walls of the shop for wiring purposes, and I'm going to
re-drywall. As long as the studs/joists are bare, what can I do for
noise?

What I did for my psychologist wife's basement office is the
following. The office is below the living room and next to the garage:

Ceiling:
Stuffed the cavity between the joists with fiberglass insulation (and
I mean stuffed, packed in tight)

Attached metal sound bar (aka resilient channel) to the joists

Screwed on 5/8 drywall (taped the joints)

Put in an acoustical tile suspended ceiling 5" below the drywall

It works well. The only sounds that get through are low frequency,
such as my heavy tread on the hardwood floor above.

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address