Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Bitternut

Hi Ted
I have turned some Smootbark Hickory, aka bitternut or pignut though
that is used for more than one species of Hickory.
As was noted it does shrink more than most woods,and I have a couple
of my first roughouts still around for that reason.
It is not a cross-linked wood but very long-treaded wood, so if it
splits, the split seems to go on forever in my experience anyway.
Wood turns just fine, and looks good also, I like the light sapwood
contrast with the heartwood, there is a picture or two in my photo
albums, the second picture in this one is from a Bitternut Hickory,
you'll notice the "handles" on the turning they are the result of the
wood shrinkage, that I used to make the handles, I think there are a
few more pictures of pignut/bitternut in the albums
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum12.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 24, 11:16*am, Ted wrote:
Has anyone had experience turning Bitternut? *For what: bowls, hollow
vessels, etc? *I have a chance to get a load of it and don't know much
about *the wood.
Thanks,
Ted