Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Slightly off topic, but...

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:39:50 -0700 (PDT), BobK207
wrote:

Robert-

I have had very good luck in my battle with rats over the years.

Where I used to work it was impossible to seal up all the entry points
(an ~ 5000 sq ft structural test lab) so I got very good at trapping
mice & rats.

Rats are very smart but the trick I learned & works for me .....is to
bait the Victor spring traps with peanut butter......but NOT set them
for a few days (nights).

I re-bait as needed if the rats eat the PB.

The concept is that rats are very suspicious of new things in their
environment. After a while they get used to whatever you've added.

Baiting with PB w/o setting the trap, gets the rats thinking " free
PB in this location, cool! "

After the third night of "free PB" I set them......the usual result
is full traps.

"Bait and switch"!! Isn't there a law against that? Contact consumer
affiars.

What do you think about setting a few traps outside the building. I
know there are too many holes in to get them all, but if they see they
can get killed even before they enter, maybe they'll steer clear.

Also make sure nothing edible is inside. They can smell it I think.

Also make sure that you have a lot of traps, in one trapping session I
caught 4 rats with 5 traps. I have re-used traps but I usually get
new ones so the rat doesn't smell his dead buddy. I'm not sure its
necessary

A former co-worker used a "rat zapper" with great success but at ~$50
you could buy at least 2 dozen regular spring traps.

I'd bet that you got all of the recent group; with 5 kills.

Put out some PB & see if it gets eaten.

cheers
Bob