Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seasoning Wood in a Cellar

robgraham wrote:
On 27 Mar, 17:35, " wrote:
Is this a bad idea?

Yes. Good air circulation is essential. Where timber is air dried
commercially, it's sticked to separate the boards and stored in either
open-sided or slat-sided buildings. Without good air circulation,
there's a good chance you will get fungal attack and possibly warping
from uneven drying.

Yes Danny - I have to agree. You would be better storing it outside
sticked with some sort of open cover over it let the wind blow
through.

Rob

I am not so convinced. I've left wood in a sealed garage (apart from
small leaks) and it dries pretty well.

There must be leakage into te rest of the house as well. IME the real
issue is keeping the rain off it.

We pulled some 5 year old scaffold planks up today..the ones that had
been in contact with soil had rotted, ut just expose to the wind and
rain - not much rot at all. Thats with NO cover at all

The actual rate of moisture loss from wood is really low. I don't think
ventilation is as much an issue as just keeping the air RH below 70% or so.

Which in any case is what it gets to on a wettish day outside under cover.