Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Slightly off topic, but...

Robert Allison wrote:

My question is about rats. I have a shop that has been invaded by
rats and I am currently without a cat that catches mice and rats. My
old cat kept them at bay, but the new one just likes to watch them,
apparently.

Anyway, I have set out rat traps and I have shot 2 with my pellet
gun. The first night with the traps I caught 3 rats. After 3 more
nights with reset traps and new bait, not a single rat.

I am wondering if rats learn to avoid traps after they see what they
do, or did I get them all the first night? I don't know if I am just
lucky and there were only five rats, or whether they all left after
realizing they weren't welcome, or whether they have learned to avoid
being seen and to avoid the traps.

Anyone know?

Stuff I have read about Florida rats: they have "runs", learn to avoid
traps. Advice was to put the trap vertically next
to their run. They also like to be above ground, traversing fences,
branches, etc. Do you know how they got in?