Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger The Ranger is offline

Default Driveway Lifted by Root

Bob F wrote in message
. ..
"The Ranger" wrote in message
I am unlucky enough to have city-planted liquid
amber planted on my little strip of meridian. The
damned tree is older than my house and over 70'
tall with a trunk that measures 20". The root
system for this behemoth is extensive and a source
of constant pain for me.

The latest issue I have is the off-shoot root that is
now lifting my driveway entrance slab. It's lifted
the entire _piece_ of cement three inches making entrance
and exit of my driveway exciting. The
cement isn't broken; I'm not looking to destroy
it either.

I'd like to lift the slab and thus remove the root
causing the problem without breaking the slab into
multiple chunks. Is there a way of do this?

Is the tree going to die or fall over after you remove
a major root?

Not given past history where I've performed similar trimming
surgeries. The stupid thing is SUPER resilient and every time
I've removed roots, it's found another way to send them
about...

I've been living with this for 15 years now and it "seems" this
issue hits every five... The first root trimming was around
the sewer pipes. The next trimming was repairing side walk (I
learned not to break cement up into little pieces there if
possible.)

If I _have_ to, I will demolish the driveway entrance but I'd
rather not. If I can "slide it aside" or that would be
"easiest" (for me.)

The Ranger