Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger The Ranger is offline

Default Driveway Lifted by Root

aspasia wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 08:11:17 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

===Liquid Amber damaging driveway entrance===

Where do you live? Wouldn't the municipality be liable,
in whole or in part, for this kind of damage? Please
post whether you have contacted them and what their
reply was.

In People's [Demokratic] Republic of California, northern
prefecture. The little burg I live in believes (and has put it
down in the codes) that they are _only_ responsible for damages
done to the streets and pipes 10' away from each property line.
So I'm responsible for the sewer line into the main, sidewalk,
and gutter. shrug It's a nice racket they have going.

When I contacted the city's arborist (and works people) because
of the damage to the sewer pipes, I was informed that I was
unable to remove the offending tree without a permit and
permits were only issued for removal of disease-ridden trees.
shrug The works people were the ones that nicely informed me
that their responsibilities lay 10' down and out from the edge
of my property. They were _more-than-happy_ to fix the sewer
where the damned tree has broken the pipe but they would be
charging me for such... It works still so I'm in no rush to
worry about it.

I'm simply going to move the slab aside (hopefully without
breaking it into little pieces) and chop the roots that are
lifting it up into little pieced. I might also punch some
copper into the root to assist with "disease" but this tree is
amazingly resilient.

The Ranger