Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Wilkins Ice Shelf disintegrating

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 19:03:11 +0900, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Den" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:44:43 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Ignoramus13009 wrote:

If you have a vacation house in Florida, you may soon need a submarine
to visit it.

But on the bright side, Florida will quit screwing up elections

Did you guys forget? FACT: Most icebergs and shelves, plus the vast
majority of the Arctic region, are already displacing all the water
they're going to, so even if they melt completely, there will be ZERO
change in the sea level.

I'm not sure its that simple:
1) What about thermal expansion causing the rise rather than the added
"melted ice"?
2) What if the ice that enters the water was coupled to land rather than
floating - surely this would increase depth?

Yes, it's complex and I don't know all the facets, as I'm sure all the
researchers are still grappling with finding them. Add the fact that
Mother Nature is taking care of Earth, too. While the shelf is
breaking off one side of Antarctica, the depth of snowpack on the
other 90% is increasing. Where it melts in one section of the ocean,
it builds on land elsewhere. She is no dummy. Just man is. First, for
spewing all that crap into the atmosphere, second for the arrogance to
think that any global change is all his fault. Third for doing the
wrong things about it after the two other mistakes. Kyoto Protocol is
about as effective as a limp dick and an unwilling lady friend. It's
all about controlling power, and we're not talking Utilities here,
folks. Algore stands to make millions on the carbon credit scam alone.
Feh!

--
Books are the compasses and telescopes and sextants and charts which other
men have prepared to help us navigate the dangerous seas of human life.