Bill

Default The SawStop, How will you let it affect you? (Long)

Andrew Barss wrote in message ...
The estimated cost to include this safety feature in a new saw is
well under $100. I think you're moanly loudly about a small matter.

Do you refuse to buy a car because they have to come with brakes,
brake lights, turn signals, and seatbelts?

You're also making a factual and logical error by deeming (paraphrase
here of your statement) "my safety is a completely personal matter".
If you cut your hand off with your tablesaw, and rush off to the hospital,
part or all of the cost of fixing you is borne by other people
with your health insurance plan, and/or taxpayers. This is strictly
personal only if you live in a cabin somewhere and cauterize your own stump.

-- Andy Barss

What do you mean by "well under $100?" If you read the petition,
SawStop says it would add less than 25% to the total cost of the saw.
I don't know about you, but 25% is pretty significant. And as far as
your moronic statement about safety being a "personal" matter, then
let's get rid of Social Security, Medicare and Welfare. I don't want
to be responsible for someone who is too stupid or incompetent to earn
a living for himself or put money aside for retirement.

The petition states that an override switch will be available when
cutting metal materials. Based on previous posts regarding the blade
guard, wouldn't a lot of people just turn it off to avoid the
possibility of a false fire deeming the device useless?

Here's my suggestion. How about requiring the saw manufacturers to
provide some kind of "port" which allows for the later installation of
a SawStop like device. That way, an individual can purchase the device
independently of the saw if he wishes.

-Bill