Posted to alt.home.repair
Lee Lee is offline

Default Repair wrought iron railing?

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I was asking about the "stent" repair
because that had been the real estate agent's suggestion. I'm a little
leery of trying to have the whole railing replaced unless I really have
to. Both ends are buried in cement, and all of the bolts or whatever is
holding it in place have several layers of paint over them. And I just
finished paying for a kitchen update, new paint, new carpet, bathtub
reglaze etc, and would like to minimize costs where possible because I'm
currently paying two mortgages... and want to get this one on the market
within the next two weeks! Oh, and trust me when I say, I am NOT a DIY
type. I'd be dangerous with a welder thingie.

I have looked up welders and fence repair (online, because I was doing
it from work G) and all I can find is companies who advertise huge
ornate fences, or whose business is 30 miles away so I'm guessing they
wouldn't be interested in a "small" job.

OTOH, I do have a mason coming in a few weeks (after the house will be
listed, but he's been out of town) to fix a few chipped brick steps, so
I can email him to see if he has any suggestions. I figure I can show
the house with a few chipped bricks more easily than I can with a wobbly
railing.

Thanks again.

wrote:
On Mar 25, 11:14 pm, Lee wrote:
Another non-DIY question. The house I'm getting ready to sell has a
wrought iron railing on the porch steps - about 3 steps worth from the
sidewalk to the cement porch. Sometime last yr the end upright piece
broke (square hollow piece, not one of the twisty spindle things). The
two ends still "touch" but it's apparently broken through.

It's probably not really "wrought iron" but is in fact a cheap steel
railing made to look like wrought iron. Hollow is a dead giveaway.

The railing could probably be welded back together, but it will be
cheaper to replace with something from Home Depot than to repair.