Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Truckers slowing down to save fuel..how about you?

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
William Wixon wrote:

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

Well, get a great big wind tunnel? :^)

Or

Look at the inverted spoilers on the backs of SUVs and old station
wagons.

that's funny because i'm right in the middle of putting ladder racks on
my pick up truck cap. i have an piece of streamlined aluminum airplane
strut that i'm going to use for the horizontal. i was wondering if that
might kinda break the boundary layer. doubt it. hafta check with a wind
tunnel, which i have none.

b.w.

Yarn, about 6 inches long, taped all over teh surface can show what the
local boundry layer is doing.

Now, OBSERVING that effect might be a trick.

Need another truck and video camera to make it work,

Richard

This isn't very hard to do, once you get some practice. I taped yarn tufts
all over my racing ITC Fiesta (yeah, I know -- it wasn't much) in the
mid-80s and videotaped it from another car driving on an Interstate. I was
checking the effects of propping up the rear of the hood, which was legal in
SCCA's ITC class.

--
Ed Huntress