Posted to alt.home.repair
L d'Bonnie L d'Bonnie is offline

Default Finishing a basement ceiling

Mamba wrote:
Looking for ideas for a low-cost and easily removable ceiling treatment for
a cabin basement. It is (and has been for years) bare joists with
insulation and visible wiring, so just about any treatment will be an
aesthetic improvement.

The ceiling is about 9' high, and I am just finishing getting insulation up
between the joists. Wanted to put up something that I could take down
easily to run additional wiring, etc if required. So drywall is out, as is
most panelling and drop celing styles.

Is there a fairly durable (and maybe flame retardent) fabric that I could
simply staple in place? I may want it to come down the walls about a foot
as well, as I have panelled/sheetrocked about 8 feet up from the floor and
have exposed wall above that level that would be well suited to sharing the
same covering as the ceiling.

Ideas or links appreciated.

As others have suggested a dropped ceiling is your best choice.
Metal "T" bar is cheap and east to install. If the cost of tile
is prohibitive think of cutting your own tiles out of 1/2 or 3/8
drywall. May not be too pretty but would be a lot more flame
retardant than fabric.

LdB