Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_2_] Lee Michaels[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to join two 50X100 (2 by 4) planks?

"Joe" wrote

Not paranoia, an old guy with personal experience. All too often,
replacing failed shoddy construction. I also have close friends who were
hurt from a deck collapse. A deck that was not built structurally sound,
didn't look dodgy, but collapsed when people gathered for a wedding
reception. The homeowner is now deservedly bankrupt from lawsuits since
he built an unsafe structure without permits/inspection and therefore was
not fully covered by his homeowners insurance.

Amen Brother.

I have seen similar things and build everything stronger than code. People
have complained that I build things "too strong" or "too heavy duty".

I used to build rustic furniture out of 2 X 12 hemlock. You could park a
pickup on one of my coffee tables. I have built bookcases thirty years ago
that are still solid and strong today.

grunting and flexing in my best gorilla fashion