Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Experience with "Direct Buy?"

On Mar 26, 9:33*am, willshak wrote:
on 3/25/2008 10:21 PM djay said the following:

All,

Have you tried the direct buy warehouse? *I hear the radio commercial about
saving thousands on a single purchase. *If you've tried it or know someone
who has, what's been the experience? *Positive? *Negative? *It seems like
another type of Costco to me.

Djay

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/direct_buy_scams

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I read a few of the comments at that site:

"The salesman, Kevin, seemed condescending when we asked him for some
time to mull it over. He told us that maybe this is not for us, then
showed us the door. Rude."

Not neccesarily "rude". I'm not in sales, but on a occasion I have
seen sales-technique presentations. Using words like "perhaps this
isn't for you", said in just the right way, can make a prospect feel
like the salesperson doesn't think they are "good enough" for the
product. The prospect doesn't want to feel degraded and tries to prove
to the salesman that they "deserve" the product just as much as the
next guy. It's part of the Negative Sell technique.

"if you don't sign-up tonight, you CANNOT come back, it is now or
never"

Do sales people actually still try that tactic? With all the press
about the "you must buy now" words, and how fast you should run away
from it, do people still fall for it?

"the salesmen sold me when he explained I would make up the membership
fee and begin saving immediately with the amount of money I was going
to spend anyway to renovate my new home"

My response would have been: "That sounds great. Let me put together
my order, get the price for all my items and then we'll add on the
membership fee. If it's better than I can do elsewhere, we've got a
deal." Obviously, the salesguy will balk. When he does, I'd simply ask
him to suggest another way to prove his statement that "I would make
up the membership fee". Since he can't/won't I think the meeting would
be pretty much over at that point.

"stuff I bought was real close to what I would have paid for it at the
store. The difference is I can sit on it, touch it, feel it, think
about...

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a person can spend thousands
of dollars on something like a couch or other furniture - something
that they are going to sit on, sleep on, make love on, whatever -
without actually seeing it, sitting on it, lying on it, etc. What good
is a couch, reagardless of the price, if nobody wants to sit on it?