Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Has anyone been successful installing tile over counter laminate?

"Big_Jake" wrote in message
On Mar 25, 12:30 pm, rick wrote:
I have a rental where the tenants have used kitchen knifes on the
countertop instead of a cutting board. I would like to install ceramic
tile.

Has anyone had success installing directly over counter laminate
without removing
the countertop substrate? I am afraid of damage to the cabinets in
trying to remove
the existing countertop. I have seen suggestions regarding roughing up
laminate to
provide a more porus surface. Any suggestions, or help.

Two thoughts -

You could screw down a layer of 1/4" tile backer and tile over that,
or you could use a 4" grinder and scuff up the surface in a couple
hundred places.

You might be able to use a really aggressive sandpaper (60 grit or
rougher) with a random orbit sander, but that laminate is pretty darn
tough.

a belt sander would be a lot better. have someone follow you closely with a
shopvac though.

I have done lots of countertops in tile and granite tile. The last
time I commented to this group about it, people freaked out about the
idea that bacteria could live & thrive in the grout. Personally I
don't worry about it, and I have never had a tenant freak out about it
either, and I have been a landlord for nearly 15 years.

Best of luck,

JK