Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison[_2_] Robert Allison[_2_] is offline

Default front load washer for 2nd floor?

Mark Modrall wrote:
Hi...

Our washing machine rusted out last week, so we're looking for a new
one. We've been looking at front loaders but have been cautioned that
unless you put some models on a concrete floor in the basement they
vibrate a lot.

A few lines advertise some extra stabilization.

Just wondering what front loaders people out here liked.

Thanks
Mark

Just redid a laundry room (moved it upstairs) for a client and
installed LG Frontload washer and dryer. I built a riser for the
w/d because the homeowner did not want to pay for the LG riser
(too much money) and built the riser with an eye toward vibration
limitation.

Framed a 2x8 frame set on 1/4" rubber strips (cut these from a
rubber cargo mat made for suv trunks). Then loaded the spaces in
the riser with cellulose insulation for deadening purposes.
Topped off with a 3/4" plywood, then covered with the 1/4" mat,
then a pan for the washer (no pan under dryer).

Installed the washer and dryer, paid close attention to balancing
and leveling and started them up. In the room directly under the
machines you can hear them, but no vibrations. Anywhere else
you can neither hear them or feel them.

YMMV

--
Robert Allison