Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Warm Air alternatives

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:09:00 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:28:30 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news Problem with that, as my mother-in-law found when she was
considering this
very thing, is that she had nowhere to put radiators!

John
===================================
What is so very unusual about her property that it has no space
available
for radiators in one form or another? I doubt if I've ever seen a
house /
property that had no free wall space.

Cic.

Why put rads in and have an inferior system when there is no need to.

----------------------------------
If wet CH with radiators is so inferior to warm air CH why is warm air
heating so rarely installed? Wet CH is flexible and easily maintained,
whereas warm air heating is difficult to modify, and has a tendency to
pump large amounts of dust into the air.

Read what I wrote.

You haven't a clue about forced air, full of old wives tales from cheapo
council house estate versions. It is the norm in the USA, as they know
how to do it right. Have a look at this. This gives decent background:
http://www.sbfaq.borpin.co.uk/dokuwi...ating:warm_air

Give me a two duct forced air, heat recovery & ventilation system any
day to any crap rad system. The forced air system is far superior in
just about every way.

The modern forced air units by J&S are a world away from the older units
too. They will transform a system.

The reason it is not installed is more due to ignorance and lack of
skills.

==================================
I did read what you wrote. You wrote:

"Why put rads in and have an inferior system when there is no need to."

That is a very clear statement that wet heating systems are inferior to
warm air systems. The sources you cite in support of your argument are not
very convincing. One of those sources states:

"I Cannot Get Ducts To Upstairs. How Do I Get Around This?

Some integrated circulators within the warm-air casing have large enough
outputs to incorporate a partial radiator system for the upstairs. Another
method is to install two small warm-air units operating independently,
supplying ground and first floors."

Unless I've mis-read that it suggests resorting to a conventional wet
system for part of the installation to overcome the inherent problems of
warm air heating. The same result can be achieved at much lower cost and
much less disruption by installing a fully wet system with one or more
fanned heaters replacing conventional radiators. Of course one could adopt
the other solution suggested in that quote ("two small warm-air units
operating independently") but that wouldn't be cost effective in money or
space terms.

Another of your sources suggests installing a network of ducting
consisting of *80mm* ducting. The cost and inconvenience of installing
such a network compared with a single spine of 22mm pipework for a basic
wet system is really prohibitive for most people.

I repeat what I said, the small takeup of warm air heating compared with
wet systems is due to much more that ignorance and lack of skills. The
fact that it's the preferred system in America has no particular relevance
to this country where houses generally are smaller and built to different
standards.

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux