Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Has anyone been successful installing tile over counter laminate?

On Mar 25, 10:30*am, rick wrote:
I have a rental where the tenants have used kitchen knifes on the
countertop instead of a cutting board. I would like to install ceramic
tile.

Has anyone had success installing directly over counter laminate
without removing
the countertop substrate? I am afraid of damage to the cabinets in
trying *to remove
the existing countertop. I have seen suggestions regarding roughing up
laminate to
provide a more porus surface. Any suggestions, or help.

Removign old laminate is simple, a torch to warm it up and it comes
right off. Easier with two people, one running the torch, the other
pulling.

Of course then you are left with the subsrate smeared with contact
cement. I don't know what grout over that would do.

Harry K