Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default closed dryer heat exchanger?

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 13:26:43 -0700, Bob F wrote:

wrote in message
I have been looking for something that probably doesn't exist for
reasons I don't know.

I am trying to find out if there is such a thing as a heat exchanger
for a dryer that would attach like a humidifier to a furnace?

I have read MANY posts and articles about just piping the exhaust of
the dryer into the house and how bad that is with lint and moisture.

What I am looking at is something like an air-air exchanger where each
"circuit" is closed.

So the dryer would still exhaust outside but on the way it would flow
through a box that is on the cold air return of a furnace. The
furnace would suck air through the box and collect some of the heat.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen anything like this, if it is even
feasible, and what issues this would cause?

For an electric dryer, all you need to do is filter the exhaust and distribute
it somehow. A high efficiency furnace filter in an appropriate enclosure would
probably do the job without createing too much back pressure.

What it'll do is clog up within a few hours and then damage your dryer.

A furnace filter? There are many square feet of element there. I don't think so.