Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 12V fans query

Meat Plow wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:34:24 +0000, bz wrote:

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:47:09 +0000, N Cook wrote:

Just as I was blowing out, with a 1KW Martindale, the crud of ages from
an amp and its fans.
Thought - these fans act as DC generators if blown forcefully.
Presumably you could damage, if driving negative volts into ps or fan
contol circuit. Next time I will jam something in the blades before
zapping one with 1KW of draught.

I've never given it a second thought. Nor have I ever damaged anything
by it. As a young lad I loved to turn my bicycle upside down and turn
the garden hose on the pedals and wheels and watch them spin.

I was having problems with my car. Was in a small town garage watching
while the guy removed the noisy wheel bearing from my front wheel. He
washed it a couple of swishes in solvent and grabbed the pressurized air
hose. As he started to blow the solvent out, the bearing started to spin.
It sounded like a warning siren.

Within a few seconds, it went 'BANG' and roller bearings ricochet around
the garage like bullets.

He yelled and started to nurse a sore hand. His boss came out and
explained to him why he should never do that. (I think he had already
learned the lesson.)

Well, I needed new wheel bearings, anyway.

LOL great story.

I blew the rear end out of my 70 Dodge Charger R/T at a drag strip when I
was kid. A couple of the bolts that hold the ring gear to the carrier blew
right through the cover. Luckily nobody was standing behind me.

An Army buddy and I decided to head to Florida on a long weekend. We
got about 50 miles from Ft. Rucker when he threw a connecting rod, and
sent the piston through the oil pan. I found the piston about 150 feet
away with part of the sheared wrist pin and broken rod bolted to one
side. I took it back to the barracks and cleaned it up, and removed the
piece of the connecting rod. If you were careful, you could balance it
on the desk, on the one good surface. The next day we had some smart
ass sergeant along with the captain for Monday morning inspection. The
Sergeant grabbed it up and started yelling, demanding to know what it
was, and why it was on my desk. The captain had a big grin on his face,
so I smiled and told the jerk "It's a hemorrhoid extractor, would you
like me to demonstrate it on you?" He stormed out of the room, while
the Captain struggled to keep from laughing at him.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html