Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Warm Air alternatives

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 12:51:56 -0700, wendy_grunge wrote:

We live in a flat with a Johnson & Starley warm air system that has
been disconnected by 'cos the heat exchanger is leaking. Yes, I know
it could be repaired but it's 30+ years old and next year it will be
something else!

We have had a J&S approved guy call who recommends a new J&S heater -
Economaire - it's sealed and doesn't fall foul of the increasingly
tough ventilation/air entry standards. Looks OK.

BUT

However, it does seem a bit expensive. J&S won't tell me what their
boilers cost so I have no way of checking. He wants £2400 to replace
it, replace aged fortic and put in new controls.

Is this fair?
***************

Are other warm air boilers available, are they any good?

Wendy

==================================
You wouldn't shop at Tesco without seeing prices so it hardly makes sense
to buy spares for an out-moded central heating system from someone who
won't give you a breakdown of component costs.

J&S appear to have a virtual monopoly of war air heating in this country
which suggest that you might be better off spending your money on a more
conventional 'wet' system which you can customise to your own
specification.

You might be able to subsidise a replacement system by selling the old
warm air ducting;scrap metal prices are quite high at the moment.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux