Tom Kohlman

Default Bandsaw Pros and cons

I bought Delta 14" with closed stand only a month ago for less than $600.
Looked identical to the Jet other than color. I am new to the bandsaw
(other than the meat cutting variety where I could do 75 pork chops a
minute) but from what I see the closed stand is a plus...it throws off alot
of sawdust for such a thin blade but that may be the particular blade I am
using as I experiment with resawing. Not so sure how well the motor is
protected on the open stand model. In any event I have to say that I am
"taken" with the new possibilities and have tended to use it in many cases
where I would have gone to the TS or CMS

"George" wrote in message
The motors on closed or open stands are upgradeable. Just a word from a

fool
who took four times longer than it should, mind the side of the motor the
cap/CB box is on before you install if you've the open stand. The bottom
door doesn't open well with the box on the right!

I've the Delta. Still built like a tank out of good aged iron, and the
lower guides are right up top to control the blade for me. Love it. I

got
the open stand. Paying that much extra for tin didn't appeal. Put some
casters on the stand, couple pieces of ply for shelves, and you've got a
great saw and no wasted floor space.

"John Quinn" wrote in message
I am close to finally buying a bandsaw. I've been looking at 14" saws
from Jet, Grizzly, Delta, and General. I've pretty mush ruled out
Grizzly based on reviews here and in magazines, my shop time is limited
and I want to make sawdust not fuss with the tools. The Jet open stand
sells for about $400 w/ a 3/4 HP motor. The Jet and General about $600
(closed stand 1 HP motor) the Delta about $750 (similar specs to Jet and
General). I've used my FIL's General and liked it and haven't cut wood
with any of the others. Can the motor on the open stand Jet be upgraded
later? What do you think cost/functionality i.e. which is going to give
me the best value? Right now I'm leaning toward the $400 Jet or the
General. With two pre-school children I don't get a lot of shop time
now, but I expect that to change as they get older. I don't want to get
too little saw and I don't want to buy capability I'll never need.

John