Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default 12V fans query

Meat Plow wrote in
:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 14:47:09 +0000, N Cook wrote:

Just as I was blowing out, with a 1KW Martindale, the crud of ages from
an amp and its fans.
Thought - these fans act as DC generators if blown forcefully.
Presumably you could damage, if driving negative volts into ps or fan
contol circuit. Next time I will jam something in the blades before
zapping one with 1KW of draught.

I've never given it a second thought. Nor have I ever damaged anything
by it. As a young lad I loved to turn my bicycle upside down and turn
the garden hose on the pedals and wheels and watch them spin.

I was having problems with my car. Was in a small town garage watching
while the guy removed the noisy wheel bearing from my front wheel. He
washed it a couple of swishes in solvent and grabbed the pressurized air
hose. As he started to blow the solvent out, the bearing started to spin.
It sounded like a warning siren.

Within a few seconds, it went 'BANG' and roller bearings ricochet around
the garage like bullets.

He yelled and started to nurse a sore hand.
His boss came out and explained to him why he should never do that.
(I think he had already learned the lesson.)

Well, I needed new wheel bearings, anyway.

--
bz

infinite set.