HarryM

Default Do I need biscuits?

Don't glue the cherry to the MDF unless you are building an arch. If the
humidity goes up, the table will cup upwards as the cherry expands and the
MDF doesn't -- downward if it dries out. If you must use the MDF, use screw
slots and omit the glue. Believe me, I did this once with a red oak table
and it bowed a good two inches in the middle. The customer put the table in
a room with about fifty house plants which she watered daily. I had to
practically rebuild the table. harrym

"Jeb Sawyer" wrote in message
m...
Rather new to woodworking, so this may be a simple question. I'm
making a tabletop out of 1" cherry on top of 1" MDF. I am going to
band the table top with cherry also to cover up the MDF. My question
is where do I need to put biscuits? I am glueing together 5 pieces of
cherry for the top, but since it is long grain to long grain is there
still a need for biscuits. And what about the banding on the sides
(with grain running perpendicular) should I be concerned about the
wood expanding and cracking?

Thanks,
Jeb