Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Organizing shop (what to do with all those little screws.....?)

On Mar 25, 2:25 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"mark" wrote:
I'm trying to get a handle on straightening up my shop/basement and need
an idea or three on how to keep hardware organized, but not hidden.

You have received lots of suggestions describing storage devices.

I'm going to suggest something else based on my experience in the electrical
distribution business.

First, there is "authorized inventory", basic items you probably buy by the
box, 100 pcs at a time.

Gets used on every project.

Next there is "project inventory", specialty hardware for a specific
project.

A screw here, a bolt there, etc.

When a project is completed, scoop up all the remaining "project inventory",
put it in a plastic bag that you seal shut, date and label with a felt pen,
and store in a box..

A year later, if the bag hasn't been opened, THROW IT AWAY.

You will not only clean up the shop, you will also save money and
frustration.

You need less storage, thus you save money.

Less stuff means what you have is easier to find.

Have fun.

Lew

Hah! You could be like a friend of mine: he keeps a couple of five
gallon plastic buckets around. When he has extra small parts, they go
into one or the other, depending on whether or not they're for his
collection of garden tractors or for woodworking. Upend either bucket,
as needed, and spend some quality time sorting the bits until you find
what you need--and you almost always find what you need. Or did. His
shop was destroyed by fire last year and the buckets melted into their
contents, so he has to begin again. I doubt he'll ever match that 50
year collection, though.