Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default damaged home from flood

In article 81a3eb9a9f824@uwe, u42365@uwe says...
I spoke with my insurance company and my flood insurance only covers back up
or overflow of sewer and/or sump.

That's not flood insurance, it's a backup of sewer and drain rider on
homeowners. Unfortunately, that's an important distinction.

Flood insurance is specifically for surface water problems, it's a
separate policy from your homeowners insurance. Home flood insurance is
essentially a government monopoly for ordinary houses (up to 250,000
home value).

Damage from water sitting outside and
causing pressure on the walls is NOT covered on any part of my Homeowners
Insurance. There is not even a policy on it that I can purchase.

There is -- flood insurance. If you aren't in a high-risk flood zone,
it's not even a very expensive policy, maybe a few hundred a year.
(Unless you're in a community that told the federal government to stick
it where the sun doesn't shine -- there are still some communities that
refuse to comply with federal flood insurance standards.)

I don't suppose you have it in writing that you requested flood
insurance when you insured your house? Backup of sewer & drain is not
flood insurance, there's a remote chance you'd have an Errors &
Omissions claim against your insurance agent if you could show you
specifically asked for flood insurance and the agent didn't either quote
real flood insurance.

Disclaimer: I am not your insurance agent, I don't know where you live,
and I don't know what policies you have. So this can't possibly be
specific advice, it's just general discussion.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/