Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default banging steam pipe

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:10:34 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"
wrote:

I just drained a radiator to eliminate banging, but it didn't work as well
as I hoped. I also removed the valve and put some teflon around the stem,
because it leaked I see from a stain.

The relief valve or the on/off valve?

Teflon tape or teflon packing?

If you've only seen the stain, below the relief valve, you don't know
if the water is leaking around the stem or through the valve itself.
I've had water coming out the vent hole, I guess it was, in the valve
itself.

There was another radiator on this extension on the floor below, but it was
removed years ago. I haven't checked the valve. It's now inside a small
cabinet. I have to move it.

Could the pipe be clogged? The pipe system is undoubtably 70 years old.
Any thoughts?

John