Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Grinding disc with depressed center?

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:42:31 -0500, (DT)
wrote:

In article ,

says...

I bought a 4-1/2" angle grinder from Harbor Freight, I don't have much
grinding to do so I just wanted to get a cheap one and use it for this
project which requires grinding off a few door hinges that has been set into
metal door jambs that extended into the slab. The grinder came with metal
disc but I also need to make some cuts in concrete so I went and got a
4-1/2" diamond blade from the big box store only to find that those discs do
not fit...apparently the metal grinding disc that came with it has a
depressed center so that the locking nut can be secured from the outside.
If I put in a flat disc there is not enough room for the lock to catch -
well even if there was I am not sure it's a good idea as the lock may break
the thin disc.

I have used the diamond blades on mine just fine, and really like the way they
work. I got the 3 pack for less than ten bucks on sale, really hard to beat.

That's cool. I'm getting engaged next month, if she says yes, and I'm
going to get her some of these diamond blades. We're both very
thrifty and I'm sure she'll understand. Diamonds are forever,
regardless of what form they are in.

Are you saying the diamond blade is just too thin? You can turn the locking nut
over, one side has a raised hub and flipping it over allows that hub to grip a
blade of zero thickness.

Maybe the blade is too thick.