Posted to alt.home.repair

Default banging steam pipe

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
I just drained a radiator to eliminate banging, but it didn't work as well
as I hoped. I also removed the valve and put some teflon around the stem,
because it leaked I see from a stain.

There was another radiator on this extension on the floor below, but it
was
removed years ago. I haven't checked the valve. It's now inside a small
cabinet. I have to move it.

Could the pipe be clogged? The pipe system is undoubtably 70 years old.
Any thoughts?

John

The banging is from water in the pipe. Is this something new? Could a
pipe have sagged and is now holding some water? You may also have a blocked
vent on a radiator allowing water to build up as it tries to fill with
steam.