Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Quackenbush Tom Quackenbush is offline

Default possum

mike wrote:
Frank wrote:

snip

My last experience with my Hava-a-hart was to catch a momma skunk. *She
was in the trap and her 4 kids were outside it and would not leave and
were jumping all over the trap. *In spite of this I managed to get it
open and release her and never got sprayed. *They say you can cover them
up and transport them but there is no way a skunk is getting in my SUV.

Yeah, I've never understood folks who want to relocate the pests they
catch. If they don't want them, what makes them think that ALL the
folks and native animals in another area are going to want them.
They're just too lazy to end the cycle of pestilence themselves.

The only place pests should be relocated is undewater for a few
minutes, and then into the earth, a garbage can, or in your pan if
it's really good eatin'.

I agree with your policy about pest relocation, but in a case like
Frank's I'd be hard pressed to put down the Mama skunk, too.

I think I have more of a soft spot for skunks than most folks,
though. As long as they're not stinking up my house, I say, "live and
let live". They seem to have a similar attitude. I might feel
differently if I kept chickens, though.

Frank - good on you for getting the trap open without getting
sprayed.

R.
Tom Q.