Posted to alt.home.repair

Default damaged home from flood

"JimR" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

"chbelfiore" u42365@uwe wrote in message news:81a3e5dd5bf38@uwe...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I have lived in my home for 6 years. When I bought the home, one of the
biggest selling points was the dry basement. Neither the street I live
on
[quoted text clipped - 36 lines]
than the flood insurance. We are not in a flood zone - so most didn't
even
have flood insurance. We are all at a loss. Please help.

Where do you live?
I live in Bellevue, OH.

Sorry to hear about the mess you're in. This probably looks familiar:
http://www.sandusky-county-scrapbook...s/bellevue.htm

http://www.sandusky-county-scrapbook...s/floodsSC.htm

http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/acgal0212.html

Apparently, it *is* a flood zone, although the definition may depend on
how often it happens. Doesn't really matter, though. What does your
homeowner's insurance contract say about coverage?

Does it matter?? -- Homeowners' insurance does not provide flood
coverage -- only the federal flood insurance program does. Absent that,
there's little you can do with your homeowner's policy.

My homeowner's policy covered some serious water damage. But, the
neighborhood wasn't flooded. It involved 5 days of outrageous rain, but no
flooding of the surrounding neighborhood. It depends on the insurer's
definition of "flood", which ***MIGHT*** include a time frame.