Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default World's Slowest 15W CFL's

In ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I just bought a 3 pack of Sylvania 15W CFL spot lights for my kitchen
fixture.

I know that CFL's take a little while to reach full brightness, but
these take over 2 minutes! They'd barely be called a "nightlight"
when they first come on.

It's not bad in the morning since it's gentle on the eyes, but at
night it's pretty annoying.

Gotta call Sylvania and see what they say.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V83WAG?...ag=yahoo-tools
06-20&linkCode=asn

This is a CFL with an outer bulb. Those generally start dimmer and take
longer to warm up.

The reason: The fluorescent tubing gets hotter with the outer bulb
around it. Fluorescent lamps only work well over a limited temperature
range, so the ones with outer bulbs are designed to work best at the high
temperature that they achieve.

- Don Klipstein )