Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadworth ARWadworth is offline

Default Labour Cost for Fence Works etc

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
ARWadworth wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "TheScullster"
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 4:45 PM
Subject: Labour Cost for Fence Works etc

Hi all

One of my not-too-DIY posts - sorry.

I can lend you a cement mixer and a spade Fence posts are a pice of
**** unless you have a glass back.

I am about to invite quotes for the erection of a fence to 2 sides of
my
back garden.
As the site is quite exposed I intend to specify conrete posts.
Q1 - what height of post would be recommended (ie how much post in
the ground)? - The fence will be 1800 high panels on top of 150 high
gravel board.

You need at least a quarter of the post in the gound . I will look
later for you but there is a recommended size requirement for the
width of the concrete base as well.

Q2 - what sort of labour cost would be expected? - There will be 12
panels in all and one gate to be fitted (14 posts total).

I managed to erect 7 posts (properly aligned and set in 2 feet deep)
on a steep garden and built my own fence panels with the help of a
friend in 2 man hour days. We staged it over a weekend to let the
posts set. Or was that because we went to the pub on the Saturday
afternoon?
I would expect a pro to do yours in 2 days max on his own. £200 a day
is very reasonable for a self employed guy to dig holes.

I reckon thats under estimated. Fencing is a 2 man job IME. I reckon 2
blokes x 2 days is more realistic for 14 posts.

I'd go in at £220 a day, but only because I have a mate who only wants £60
a day.

I am only £40 out on my estimate then.

Adam