Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadworth ARWadworth is offline

Default Labour Cost for Fence Works etc

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
TheScullster wrote:

I am about to invite quotes for the erection of a fence to 2 sides of my
back garden.
As the site is quite exposed I intend to specify conrete posts.
Q1 - what height of post would be recommended (ie how much post in the
ground)? - The fence will be 1800 high panels on top of 150 high gravel
board.

8 foot high would be fine, but if you are really worried, then I'd put 9
feet posts in.

Q2 - what sort of labour cost would be expected? - There will be 12
panels
in all and one gate to be fitted (14 posts total).

To supply and fit, I'd charge £90 per panel (for feather edge board
panels, £10 cheaper for cheaper lapped panels), plus £70 for a gate.
£1150 all in.
For labour only, that'd be taking the old down,digging the holes, then
putting the new up, probably 2 days work, £250.
Personally, I'd rather do such jobs as labour only, as it takes another
day ordering/collecting,and getting rid of the waste, as well as tying
up over £500 in cash to pay for the materials.
Alan.

As discussed in previous threads, you are too cheap. You are also supposed
to have a mark up on your parts and materials to allow you to order and
collect them. Think bigger. It is a supply and demand world (at least the UK
is) so unless you are not in demand put your prices up. £125 a day is not a
real day. You have to have days off, go on holiday, pay for tools,
transport, advertising, tax, insurance. Your daily rate has to pay for these
things on your days off.

Adam