Posted to alt.home.repair
chbelfiore chbelfiore is offline

Default damaged home from flood

I have lived in my home for 6 years. When I bought the home, one of the
biggest selling points was the dry basement. Neither the street I live on or
the house had seen flooding in over 35 years. Some of the older homes had
"wet" basements because they were built before sump pumps were invented. The
water would enter through a drain in the basement. But even when it rained
really hard - I never saw a drop in my basement. I have a sump pump and the
crock has always been relatively dry. Being a single mom, I still purchased
flood insurance "just in case". I dry locked the walls and floors and
stuccoed the inside walls. This past October, we finished the basement with
drywall and added bedrooms for my kids. Carpet, entertainment center,
exercise equipment - the whole deal. This year.....we flooded.

The water table in our town is so high rght now, the water has no where to go.
Everyone on my street has been pumping out water for over 5 days - it is
going nowhere. My walls on my first floor are cracking. My doors won't shut
and worst, we just noticed that the basement flooring is buckling. The water
is now coming through the floor in the basement and we see no relief.

My flood insurance gave me a cap of $5,000.00. Not sure if my Homeowners will
cover any more of it, but the adjuster said it is doubtful. I still have a
Lake in my front yard and a pond in my back yard. Four sump pumps in my
basement are keeping the water down low enough to run the furnace and the
water heater. All of my neighbors are in similar shape and we are just
entering the rainy season.

Has anyone out there ever dealt with this? What do we do? Will our floors and
walls crack more? Is it fixable? Should our homeowners insurance cover more
than the flood insurance. We are not in a flood zone - so most didn't even
have flood insurance. We are all at a loss. Please help.