Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default possum

wrote:

It's not just the fact they are ugly and can carry diseases, they CAN
BE DEADLY FOR HORSES. Even if you don't own horses, if you live in
the country and neighbors have horses, please destroy possums. If you
must live trap them, DO NOT release them near horse farms. Better
yet, relase them in the city, such as in the center grassy divider
between the two directions of traffic on a high speed interstate
highway. That way they'll either get killed by the northbound, or the
southbound traffic, and you can place bets to determine which lane
will get them.

Sorry, I love most animals, and I try my best to be compassionate and
humane, but I love our horses much more than some ugly possum carrying
diseases, that dont need to be hanging around my front door. I've
shot a couple coons that got inside my barn and snarled at me. I felt
bad about it. I shot a skunk that sprayed one of my barn cats, and I
felt bad about it. I NEVER feel bad when I kill possums, rats, or
mice. All of them are filthy disease carriers, and damage property.

If you want to learn more about this EPM that can kill a horse, and is
spread by possums, go he
http://www.equine-research-inc.com/x-lame2.htm

Or, alternatively:

"Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM) is a neurological disorder caused
by a parasite. The opossum and a parasite called Sarcocystis neurona have
been implicated although current research suggests other hosts and other
parasites may be involved in disease transmission. The infective form of the
parasite is passed in the feces. If a horse eats contaminated feces then it
could develop neurological signs. It should be noted that the majority of
opossums are probably not shedding the infective parasite and that of the
horses exposed to the parasite, very few will develop EPM. "

http://www.opossumsocietyus.org/freq..._questions.htm