Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Things to come?

On Mar 23, 6:10 pm, Robatoy wrote:

The tool is likely very heavy. Maybe because of the 10,000 pound chain
attached to the cement block guarded by a pair of 100 pound
dobermans..... or my lunch bucket.
That saw just yells : "STEAL MEEEE!!!!"

For shop workers, that isn't much of a consideration.

For those who have not worked on site for a few weeks at a time, you
cannot imagine how hard it is to keep an eye on everything, everybody,
and all they are doing on a constant basis.

We have had tools stolen from job sites I have worked on (and on mine)
where the thieves weren't even working on the project. Driving by,
they saw "targets of opportunity" and took a chance.

Sometimes they case the job by asking if anyone is hiring. Sometimes
they act like they are selling something and indeed it may be
something they just stole somewhere else. And sometimes, they just
drive by and get lucky.

I can't imagine what it would be like to walk around a corner to nail
up piece of crown, be intercepted by the client that has to ask you a
quick question about something on the other side of the project, and
return a few short minutes later to an empty tool stand where your
$1500 Festool (or any other brand) saw used to sit.

I keep a hardened chain with a security combination lock in the truck
at all times, but you can't lock up everything.

Robert
(whose ass is still smarting from the loss of his 4 hp compressor,
taken from a secured warehouse after having the chain cut in order to
remove it during business hours)