Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Houseman Doug  Houseman is offline

Default Organizing shop (what to do with all those little screws.....?)

In article ,
"mark" wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
Greetings All,
I'm trying to get a handle on straightening up my shop/basement and need
an idea or three on how to keep hardware organized, but not hidden. I'm
sure you all are like me, with all sorts of nuts, bolts, screws, widget
holders, ad infinitium.... I have the cheap organizers that can be
bought just about anywhere, blue sheet metal chassis with thin plastic
(sometimes sliding) drawers. This just don't cut it any more. I need
something with different sized drawers, fairly abuse resistant, and
something that can be labeled on the front so I know what's what. I
think McFeeleys may have something, so I'll look there also. I know some
people still like the old baby food jars with the lid screwed to a shelf
bottom, I'd rather not..... Anyone have a good system they'd like to brag
about??? Thanks as always, Mark

Mark I have been using "Steel" parts bins drawers for 20+ years and they
still seem to be the answer to storage solutions of screws, nuts, bolts,
etc. The bin drawers are painted "steel" and measure about 10" deep, 5"
wide and 3" tall. They are housed in a steel cabinet 3 rows high and 6
columns wide. I also have a smaller steel cabinet with same sized drawers
1 row high by 6 columns wide. Each drawer has notches that will let you
put in steel dividers every 1.5" inches or so front to back. Each drawer
will allow about 8 separate compartments.

You don't see these in retail stores as they are normally used in
commercial settings such as in the "parts departments" in automobile
dealerships. These storage drawers bins will last you a life time.

Thanks, maybe a look at McMaster or J&L will turn something up....

Depending on the quantity and size I use several different containers -

For large hardware, hoses, etc - I use the flip top bins that are about
18 inches by 12 inches by 12 inches. I find that I can put a whole lot
in them (e.g. 40 strings of christmas lights) and with translucent
sides, I can get a good idea of what is in them.

For Nails and Screws in 5 lbs box size - I typically leave them in the
boxes until they are about 1/2 empty (or the box wears out) - then I
move them to plastic bins that fit in bin racks - mine are portable and
have a handle on top (holding 12 bins) - I have not see the holders in a
while.

When I get to the last few I use solid divider clear plastic keep boxes
about 12 x 9 x 1.5 inches - to put the last few in or small parts that
come in baggies. Most of mine have 15 or so compartments - so I can get
a lot of different things in one box - I have one for picture hanging
and other indoor fasteners - I have another one for brass screws,
washers, etc. - i have one for electrical parts (wire nuts,etc) and so
on. I have a total of about 10 of them - all in an old kitchen cabinet
on the wall.

I use the Ikea 12 x 18 bins for sand paper and other consumables - I
built a set of 12 x 18 x 28 inch high racks for the bins and store the
rack under the work bench - when I need to move it, I grab the handle
that I routed in the top and carry it out to my work location.

Hope this helps.

Doug