Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Things to come?

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:02:18 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

Often it has been discussed how to best collect dust created by a SCMS or
CMS. The answer has almost always been, it cannot be done with great
results.

Honestly I think all the manufacturers to this point just stick a hole
for a vacuum at the top of the guard and didn't put one iota into
actually making it work. On my Bosch it can work half decent on thick
material, 2x4s and the like. Anything thinner and I can see the dust
go shooting right by the sides of the guard. If it just had more of a
scoop to it at the bottom it would work. That's what it looks like to
me on the Festool. It's also way WAY too constricted on the Bosch, it
sounds like a freight train when I turn on the vac. So I don't think
this is any particularly monumental invention, just someone spent more
than 5 minutes on the dust collection.

And yes, Tommy can't go 5 minutes without breaking out a Festool toy.
It's the only time he actually gets his hands dirty anymore. I know
PBS has some rules about advertising so you aren't going to hear
anything actually spoken about it, but gone are the days when they
taped over all the manufacturers names.

-Leuf