Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Mark is offline

Default Things to come?

"Leon" wrote in message
Often it has been discussed how to best collect dust created by a SCMS or
CMS. The answer has almost always been, it cannot be done with great
results. Many have shown devised setups that seem to work well but is it
also reported that regardless of how well these modifications work there
is still a pretty good mess to clean up. On top of that, the collector is
most often stationary or part of a stationary stand.
Changing direction for a bit here it has often been mentioned the
seemingly excessive expense of certain brand tools and how the expense
would prevent a person from ever considering that brand. As true with
anything the initial cost of purchasing a tool will always be out of
someone's price range. At one time PC products were a stretch for me,
fortunately I have over come that obstacle.
Back on topic, I was watching "Ask" This Old House today and noticed Tommy
using a new tool. In recent months Tommy has been using a lot of new
tools and not too coincidentally they are of the same brand. Is he or Ask
TOH using a new sponsor? I have not seen credits going to this company
nor does a search of this company on the "Ask" TOH web site turn up any
results. Of all the wood working shows and talented professionals on
these type shows I have never heard any discouraging words that would
indicate that he does not carry the respect of most any wood worker.
A viewer asked "Ask" TOH to help him out with crown moldings in his
kitchen. The homeowner had been able to do most every thing himself but
the crown moldings in a seemingly complicated area had him baffled. Tommy
stepped in and showed how to cut crown molding for irregular angled
corners with a SCMS. No coping, all cuts were done on the SCMS, right
there inside the house. It took me a few minutes to realize that there
was not a cloud of saw dust in side the homeowners house. For that matter
I backed the video up and watched the cuts being made and again did not
notice any saw dust escaping. Then I saw a black hose with green stripes
in it. Hum the mostly black SCMS had a few green spots on it as well.
Backing up again and forwarding frame by frame revealed the Festool name
on the SCMS motor housing. The saw is not available for sale in the US
yet so I would be sure that the saw was probably donated but it was
certainly not promoted in the show or web site. Surely this is going to
be another expensive product from Festool and many are not going to be
able to justify the price of this machine. For those that make a living
using their wood working tools I can see how this saw would be a big
benefit when working inside a customers home and not having to set up shop
in the rain or snow so many yards away from the project. Imagine not
having to put up dust screens or go in and out side the home time after
time to saw or sand pieces on the project. Imagine not tracking saw dust
all over the house on the way outside to make another cut. Imagine this 2
hour crown molding job only taking 20 minutes because you spend your time
working and not cleaning up, walking in and out side time after time for a
10 second cut.

Although I can afford a few of those nice Festool toys, I really can't
justify the price for a casual ww'er. But I'm going to watch again for that
episode, and start taking bets on the under/over price of a Festool SCMS....
Mark