Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BobH[_2_] BobH[_2_] is offline

Default Radiator solder

SteveB wrote:
Tell me what you know.

Steve

I soldered the radiator for an old Dodge and it held for the 5 years
that I kept the vehicle. It had a couple of broken tubes in the
radiator, so I peeled them out of the tanks on the top and bottom, then
scrubbed the tank surfaces bright and shiny with sandpaper and a small
wire brush. I fluxed it with some ancient paste flux and soldered a
brass patch over the empty holes in the two tanks. I think I used my O/A
rig with a 00 or a 000 tip to get a small flame with enough heat to do
it quickly. Quick is important so that you don't unsolder adjacent
tubes. It's been 30 years since I did it, but I remember it went pretty
well.

Good Luck,
Bob