Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Battery on the ground

In article ,
Lew Hartswick wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 08:26:00 -0600, Lew Hartswick

When I studied chemistry they told me taht H2SO4 and water were
soluble in each other in all proportions, also that a solution
cosisted of two substances that would not separate merely due to
differences in density.
Has any of this changed?

Engineman

Did "Chemistry" class ever explain how the ocean has different
layers of density that cause the sonor problems that are well
documented by submarines? I would think using your logic that
it would be one uniform solution. ????
...lew...

There are continuous inputs (e.g., rivers) and ouputs (evaporation) of
fresh water to and from the ocean which prevent it from ever reaching
equilibrium with respect to solutes, unlike electrolyte which is
thoroughly mixed before filling a battery.

Similarly, as a result of localized inputs and outputs of heat, most
bodies of water are also not in thermal equilibrium, as any swimmer
can attest. It seems reasonable that the same could be true of a
battery sitting undisturbed on a large heat sink (a concrete floor)
while air temp is fluctuating.

A-MEN!

Batteries are too small to support much of a thermocline. It takes at
least a lake to get anything that will last more than an hour or two.

Joe Gwinn